IC7 is a gp130 chimera peptide, which mimics the body’s natural response to exercise on fat oxidation
The FDA estimates NAFLD/NASH rates between 12% and 17% of the population of industrialised countries (600m)
Estimated NAFLD/ NASH market size of US$15bn by 2025
- Gilead acquires Nimbus Therapeutics Phase 1 NAFLD / Nash candidates - US$1.2 bn (2016)
- Allergan acquires Dual CCR2/CCR5 Antagonist from Tobira; Phase 1 candidate – US$1.7 bn (2016)
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) represent a spectrum of disorders, characterised by acute inflammation and injury in liver cells, leading to cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
- Together NAFLD/NASH is the most common cause of liver dysfunction globally and is increasing owing to its close association with obesity and insulin resistance.
- Patent for IC7 (proof of concept compound) is in force in the US and EU;
- The research group seeks to support a novel and inventive chemical entity claim building on this patent, designated as “KM-2702”. This new compound will be designed as an optimised treatment of NAFLD/NASH.
- This compound, KM-2702, will represent new composition of matter IP and will capitalise on the extensive IP acquired for the proof of concept compound, IC7.
- There is a significant unmet clinical need for an effective and safe therapy for NAFLD / NASH
- IC7 has a unique mechanism of action with demonstrated efficacy in higher animal models.
- Late stage human trials of a related compound (Axokine) for a different indication demonstrated positive effects on body weight in humans whilst illustrating the safety of the GP130 mechanism of action.
Figure 1. Eight days treatment in high fat fed C57Bl/6 mice decreases fat mass, improves glucose tolerance and fasting hyperglycaemia and reduces NAFLD. Body weight (A), fat mass (B), lean mass (C), glucose (D) and area under the glucose curve (E) during an intraperitoneal glucose tolerance test, fasting glucose (F), liver fatty acid oxidation (G), liver triglyceride content (H) and representative livers (I) in high fat fed C57Bl/6 mice treated with a placebo (black bars) or test group (blue bars).